My Sleep Solution to Ensure a Good Night’s Sleep
Remember when you could sleep just like a baby. I don’t sleep that well anymore and have found that as I have gotten older, my night time ritual has changed to suit me my needs. I find myself getting tired much more easily and am in bed by 8:00pm. I don’t necessarily go to bed then, but I like to be settled by then. I wanted to share my nighttime ritual, as I imagine that many of your elderly parents share a similar ritual:
- I only have caffeine before noon.
- I don’t drink alcohol at night.
- I come up from dinner by 7:15.
- I wash my face and brush my teeth.
- I undress and lay out the clothes I want to wear tomorrow.
- I put on my nightgown.
Prior to getting into bed:
- I make sure I have a bottle of water next to the bed in case I get thirsty.
- I also keep a small snack next to the bed that won’t spill or melt…My snack of choice is pretzels or almonds.
- I find having a cup of SleepyTime tea helps me relax.
- I turn out my main lights.
- I make sure my kindle is nearby in case I want to read something…I like the classics, so I am currently rereading Rebecca by Daphne Du Marier. It’s a great book and really stands the test of time.
- I go to the bathroom right before bed.
Once in bed:
- I either read a bit or watch TV. I am a bit hard of hearing so I need closed captions when I watch my shows.
- Note: I recently read that tablets emit some type of light that can affect your sleep. Because of that, I leave my bedside light on while reading to minimize the issue.
- Sometimes I listen to relaxing CD or App on my Kindle that is focused on falling asleep.
- If I can’t fall asleep, I do 7 deep yoga breaths. I breathe in through my nose and hold it for a 5 count. I then breathe out from my mouth letting all the air out….repeat 7 times. It really works to relax you.
The importance of a routine at night
- Go to bed at the same time every night and try to wake up at the same time every morning.
- If you are going to read or watch TV, set a goal for how much your read or watch at bedtime. For example, I try not to read more than 3 chapters in a book at a time.
- I like to vary my snacks at night to include to sleep-inducing foods, such as oatmeal or a banana. Pretzels are my mainstay.
- I mentioned that I like herbal tea as I’m winding down…to get the best effect from chamomile tea as an example, use 3 teabags so you get the full effect.
- If your room isn’t dark enough, try a sleep mask…it makes a big difference.
That what my night time ritual is like…I hope these hints help you get a better night’s sleep! What are some of your favorite bedtime rituals to ease into sleep?
Thanks for reading!
Related Article: How to get a good night sleep every night