My top choice for a portable bedside commode…
At first, I was a bit hesitant to review a portable bedside commode due to the sensitive nature of what it’s used for. After much thinking on this topic, I have come to realize just how important a portable bedside commode is for me. In fact, I find it essential to my daily (and nightly) life.
In addition to my mobility issues, I also have incontinence and a frequent urge to urinate. It’s very frustrating because I often could not make it to my bathroom in time. It made me feel very helpless! My daughter suggested that I visit the Women’s Health Foundation website because they have a section on seniors and incontinence.
As the situation got worse, my doctor suggested that I get a bedside commode. At first, I was horrified by the idea…I envisioned the smells that would emanate from it depending on what I needed to do. I thought the idea was absolutely disgusting!
Then I found out one of my friends from Florida had one and was very pleased with it. She generously shared her experiences and the next day I asked my son to order me one online. The one that my friend recommended was the Drive Medical Deluxe Folding Commode with Commode Bucket and Splash Guard…apparently a very popular product.
I have been using it for about 3 years and I am so pleased with it…
Here’s What I Really Like About My Bedside Commode
- When I have to go to the bathroom, I literally can easily move from my bed to the commode.
- It has a very solid lid to put down, so I rarely smell anything foul.
- I use scented liners, so cleanup is very easy for my caregiver.
- It’s small and fits perfectly next to my bed.
- I can maneuver easily around it to get to my walker.
- I can use it day or night depending on the situation.
- It is really very solid and sturdy, so I feel safe.
- I also like that it has a splash guard so it seems more hygienic to me.
- My only complaint is that it doesn’t come pre-assembled. Luckily, my son is pretty handy and had it assembled within an hour or so.
Here are the Specs:
- Product Dimensions: 22.8 x 7.5 x 24.4 inches ; 2.4 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 13 pounds
- Height adjustable 16.5″-22.5″
- Durable plastic snap on seat and lid
- Folds easily for storage and transport
- Can accommodate 300 lbs
My Cleaning Suggestions:
In terms of cleaning, I like to use Lysol spray and a bit of Pinesol. I hope you found my review of my portable bedside commode very helpful! There are lots of good options out there.
Here are a few other accessories that I can recommend:
Thanks again for stopping by the Senior Mobility Network! If there are some special articles or product reviews that you would like to see, please let us know.
Related Article: Tips on Bathroom Safety for Seniors